dinsdag 18 augustus 2026


My Story – Robert Montez

Date: 10/01/12

My name is Robert Montez. I am 17 years old. Before this happened, I was a very healthy teenager. I was highly involved in school, maintained excellent grades, and was on track for an early graduation. My plan was to enter a five-year nursing program after finishing high school.

I have always had a deep passion for music and art. Growing up surrounded by many genres of music, I felt fortunate to experience such diversity and set goals of becoming a musician. I learned to sing, play guitar and bass, and music became an essential part of my daily life. Eventually, it inspired me to pursue plans of forming a band.

Aside from school and my hobbies, I had been in a four-year relationship with my high school sweetheart, Alycia. This experience has affected her deeply as well. We spent much of our relationship discussing our future plans and goals after high school. She was very important to me, and this illness has devastated many of the dreams we had together. It struck at what should have been one of the happiest periods of my life, just as all my plans were about to become reality.

I often think about how my life seemed to end just as it was beginning.

On May 25, 2012, my life changed forever. One morning while bathing, I discovered a lump in my testicle. Concerned because cancer runs in my father's side of the family and because I was experiencing severe pain, I quickly scheduled an appointment with my doctor.

After examining me, my doctor ruled out cancer and diagnosed the problem as an epididymal cyst. He then prescribed Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) 500 mg, twice daily for ten days.

That same day, as I was beginning my summer break from school, I picked up the prescription and went home. I only took two pills before realizing that something was terribly wrong.

While lying on my bed, I suddenly noticed an unusual sensation in both Achilles tendons. It felt as though all the nutrients had been drained from them, leaving them brittle and weak. When I tried to walk, it felt as if they might snap beneath me.

Soon afterward, I experienced an overwhelming sensation that every ounce of life had been sucked from my body, accompanied by an intense panic attack. I did not feel like myself. The world around me seemed strange, unreal, and dreamlike. It was terrifying.

During the following days, I felt extremely weak, flu-like, frightened, and helpless. After reading the medication leaflet more carefully, I discovered some of the listed side effects. I immediately began searching online for information about Cipro side effects and was horrified by what I found. To this day, it still feels like a nightmare from which I have never fully awakened.

Symptoms I Experienced After Taking Cipro

  • Severe head pressure
  • Tendonosis and tendonitis in both Achilles tendons
  • Partial hearing loss in the right ear
  • Tinnitus
  • Tendonitis in both hands
  • Damage to multiple tendons throughout the body
  • Hundreds of eye floaters of various shapes and sizes
  • Disturbances in smell perception
  • Dental problems
  • Arthritis-like pain in knees, hands, and wrists
  • Premature skin aging
  • Poor wound healing
  • Brittle nails
  • Severe constipation
  • Frequent urination
  • Extreme anxiety and panic attacks
  • Depersonalization and feelings of unreality
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Depression
  • Frequent crying spells
  • Feelings of emptiness
  • Severe mood swings
  • Peripheral neuropathy affecting multiple limbs
  • Severe nerve pain, especially in the legs, knees, and feet
  • Chronic fatigue

At the time of writing, I am four months into my recovery after being floxed. My symptoms come in cycles, varying greatly in intensity and duration. Around six of these symptoms affect me daily. Some days are manageable, while others are extremely difficult. Certain weeks bring intense flare-ups.

Mentally, I feel more normal than I did during the early stages, but I still do not feel like myself. Pain in my legs often makes walking difficult, and both Achilles tendons continue to trouble me, particularly the left one. The nerve pain is unusual because it constantly changes location.

Overall, I do feel better in some ways, although in other ways I sometimes feel worse than I did earlier. Recovery has been a constant cycle of progress and setbacks, much like many other floxed individuals describe.

I have tried a variety of approaches recommended by other sufferers, including:

  • Whey protein
  • Magnesium supplements
  • Vitamin C
  • Hot Epsom salt baths
  • Vitamins A and D
  • Cellfood
  • Lemon water
  • Apple cider vinegar
  • Reverse osmosis water
  • A healthy diet whenever possible

Sometimes it is difficult to tell whether I am moving forward or backward in recovery because of the dramatic ups and downs. However, I understand that everyone heals differently, and despite being far from my old self, I am grateful that I have made some improvements during these four months.

Knowing that there are many others going through similar experiences saddens me deeply, but it also gives me comfort because it reminds me that I am not alone.

I know I have a long road ahead, as many of us do. I believe that time plays a major role in recovery. I am still frightened about what the future may hold, but I continue to live, hope, and pray every day for healing.

If there are any other young floxies who can relate, please share your story. In fact, anyone is welcome to share. I believe that by standing together and raising awareness, we can help prevent this terrible illness from happening to others.

~ Peace & Love ~
Robert Montez

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten